I’m working on a fun personal project so I’m going to start tracking progress and my plans as they evolve. This is still the very early prototype stage. I hope to have a rough demo (pre-alpha) to show by December 1, 2013.
What I’ve accomplished so far:
- Stub Dropwizard service that returns some dummy data.
- Vagrantfile that uses Puppet to provision a machine with PostgreSQL and Java. This is sufficient to run the Dropwizard service.
What I will accomplish by the end of the weekend:
- Connect the Dropwizard service to PostgreSQL.
- Add some basic message CRUD to the service.
- Integrate Angular.js. The way this will be served is still up in the air (current ideas: Apache/nginx, directly from the service or with a custom Sinatra service).
- (optional, see below) Add some tests to the Dropwizard service.
What I hope to accomplish next week:
- Add an XMPP server to the mix.
- Perform a through test: (1) Message from web client received by XMPP client. (2) Message from XMPP client received by web client.
- Evaluate prototype.
- Tear down prototype and rebuild with tests from the ground up.
My commitment is to work on this for at least a solid hour every day. If I can do more, great.